1. This Christmas, we went to a Christmas Eve service at South Roanoke United Methodist Church. It is the church that my parents got married in and the church that my grandmother was a active member of. We've been going to this service for the past 27 years and I'm so glad that we continued that tradition even after her passing. It was sad that my grandmother wasn't there when we walked in this year, but it was good to be surrounded by family and keep those old traditions alive.
2. This year, we also decided to do the 3 wiseman gifts with Sawyer, so he gets a present he wants, a gift he needs, and then a surprise. It keeps Christmas simple and also reminds us that the real reason for the season isn't gifts and presents, but Christ and family.
3. That being said, Sawyer still wasn't really into presents. He would begin to unwrap and then get bored in the middle of it. Next year. :)
4. On Friday, we drove down to Charlotte, NC to see some friends from Palo Alto. We were only there for 4 hours, but it was so nice to catch up with them and explore some of Charlotte's downtown. They even checked out a neighborhood with us that we might be interested in in a few years.
5. My family and cousins went to see Nebraska on Thursday. It was fantastic. I loved it. Afterwards, 12 of us when to Grace's Pizza and had dinner. It was a lot of fun and I loved getting to spend some more quality time with them.
6. Oh, and Christmas Day my Mom hosted 21 of my family members for dinner. It was a blast! We played card games, did gag gifts, and ate a lot of good food. I think this was one of my favorite nights.
7. Speaking of favorites, my favorite present this year was a calendar that my Aunt made all us cousins. It had different pictures of my grandmother and us throughout the year. It was heartfelt and incredibly special. She did a fantastic job.
So, that's our Christmas in a nutshell! A lot of family, some good food and quality time with the ones we love. It was overall perfect.