DC Bucket List: Great Falls & Mt Vernon

I haven't posted about our DC Bucket list in a while, but its still going strong! We crossed two more items off our list this fall since its been so unseasonably warm--yay!-- and we'll be working through some more in the upcoming months.

The first place we went was Great Falls! It was a gorgeous 70-degree day and the drive there could't have been prettier. The changing leaves in Virginia are amazing and some of the prettiest I've seen. I love living here for that reason.

When we got there we met up with a friend who has 3 little ones and strolled around and chatted. The paths were wide, the scenery was unreal--I can't believe a place like this exists so close to DC--and it was really kid-friendly too. When we got there were 3 school field trips going on and also bathrooms were close by, which is a big deal in my book.

The second place we checked out was Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home. This was a plus and minus experience for me. First it was a hike--literally and figuratively-- and it was hard to try to entertain Sawyer who was a little too young to get the historical aspect of it and also feed Rhett.

It was a beautiful day when we went, but walking up and down hills was not fun with a toddler and 7-month old. I was huffing and puffing and there wasn't a good place for me to sit down to feed Rhett. Plus, whenever I did, Sawyer would get bored and try to find something to do so it was hard.  If Z was there it would've been a different story, but doing it solo with a friend was not my cup of tea.


But, if your kids are older--or you have a friend/spouse/partner there--they did have a lot of fun activities for kids to do like a candle-making station, a hay maze, and you could pet oxen which was really neat to see.


Comments

Popular Posts