Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Year 3 Anniversary Trip: Savannah

Savannah! I'm so excited to finally to share our trip!

Last spring, Z asked me where I wanted to go to celebrate our anniversary and I immediately said, "Savannah!" I've always wanted to go and had only heard great things, so to me, it was a no-brainer. We decided to make it a couple's trip because we never get to see two of our couple friends that live in New York. One dropped out and the other came, and it was so much fun to be able to catch up and experience the city with them.

We flew in really late on Friday night, so we didn't catch up with our friends until Saturday morning. We met them for brunch at B. Matthews. I didn't get anything crazy or signature, but I did try Z's which was fried green tomatoes and goat cheese with eggs and they were fantastic!

Afterwards, we walked around the downtown area and stopped in a candy shop or two.
had to get a picture in front of lady & sons!
might have stopped here every night for candy on the way home.

That night, we went to the Olde Pink House for dinner. It was very good, very southern, and really pretty inside. Each room had a unique feel and I loved my BLT salad and almond-crusted tilaphia with shrimp-herb butter. Yum!

After dinner, we said good-bye to our friends and went on a ghost tour. I mean, when you're in Savannah you have to, right? It was really interesting and I'm glad we did it, but it definitely wastn't scary at all. Our tour guide mainly just talked about the history of the town, some frightening murders that happened in the early 1900s, and how the dead were buried.

The next day, we met our friends and went to Bonaventure Cemetery. It was gorgeous. The spanish moss was everywhere and the iron gates were amazing. However, there were a lot of bugs--it was really humid that day--and I felt like a lot of the time I was swatting fire ants off my legs or mosquitos. Oh, the South! :)

We ended our afternoon with a tour of the First African Baptist Church. I think this was the coolest thing we did that weekend. Our tour guide was a great storyteller and I loved all the historical artifacts that they had throughout the church. My favorite was learning about the underground railroad and seeing the breathing holes in the floors where slaves hid underneath before venturing on. Really incredible. If you are ever in Savannah, I highly recommend this tour. It was fabulous.

After the tour, we said goodbye to our friends and Z and I headed out to a fancy dinner at Garibaldi's. We didn't take any pictures, but it was good to have that time and talk about our future.


Monday, we slept in, rented bikes, and went the Kayak Cafe for lunch. The black bean, mushroom, and spinach tacos were the best vegetarian tacos I've ever had. Definitely hit this place up for lunch if you're around. They had a lot of fresh options and are apparently known for their famous salads.

All in all, a great trip with good friends!

Also, thank you so much for all the congratulations on baby #2! We are so excited and can't wait to meet he or she!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like a great trip! I would love to visit Savannah sometime.

BLovedBoston said...

Such a perfect anniversary trip!! Savannah is one of my favorite destinations!

Diana @ wonderfully made. said...

Oh my, Savannah is gorgeous! There are so many places on that side of the country I'm dying to visit! Loved your pictures!

Lauren said...

sounds like a fabulous trip! Savannah is definitely on my bucket list!

Jillian Manesh said...

what a great place for a trip! i have always wanted to visit Savannah! xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a May Designs giveaway on cornflake dreams

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

Looks like the perfect getaway with a mix of romantic time and time with friends! When Bryce was in Savannah for a conference this summer, he asked me to look into some dinner options, and I remember thinking The Olde Pink House sounded so good!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...