Wednesday, March 14, 2012

New Fitness Goal & An Update

Cousin and I coming biking across!
As of late, my new exercise goal is to workout for 1 hour 5 times a week. Let me preface this by saying this is not to lose weight-I'm very happy with what I weight, but I want to feel and be healthier. I don't know about you, but I just feel so much better after I work out-especially in the mornings. After a morning workout, I feel like my day has began, I did something healthy just for me, and I feel like I really accomplished something. 

Plus, I didn't really work out last week and I felt really lame. My excuse was that "I was busy." But you should never be too busy to take care of yourself and set aside at least 20-30 minutes to get in some "me" time. So this weekend, when my cousin came, I made this goal and adapted some of her exercise routines into my schedule. She's a college athlete so I felt like if I could do 1/3 of what she does on a daily basis then I'd be set. 

Saturday morning, I walked the Dish, which is a 3.3 hilly trail that loops around the top of the hill. 
Sunday, we biked around San Fran, over the Golden Gate Bridge and into the cute little town of Sausalito for lunch. 
Tuesday, H and I got up early and hit the gym-after eating coffee cake, course. We spent 30 minutes on the bike and 30 on the elliptical. 
Wednesday, I just walked and in my book that counts. 
Thursday, I'm keeping up with my same routine of walking the Dish again with a good friend. 

How am I making my goal a reality?

Talking it out. What I mean by this is I am telling my friends my goal and am setting up exercise meet-ups with them instead of lunch or dinner dates. I'm the queen of talking myself out of exercising so by telling others what I plan to do, they keep me accountable. They have also come up with great ideas for us to hang out  and exercise instead of coffee dates. For example, a friend and I walk around Stanford's campus Sunday afternoon for 11/2 -2 hrs. We now have a standing date and I look forward to this each and every week. A time when we can catch up without distractions and feel good about what we are doing for our health. 

Fitting It In When I Can. I'm not going to feel bad if I can't make it to the gym for an hour class or a 60 minute sweat sesh. Its unrealistic, won't last, and will ultimately make me feel bad. So on the days that I can't make it, I will walk our pup, Sadie instead of handing that chore off to Z. She goes on two 20 minute walks a day, which would is close to a 40 minute treadmill walk at the gym.  I also have been getting up during commercial breaks to wash dishes, make trips to the laundry and put away dishes. These little chores help me feel like I'm not just maximizing my time around the house, but also like I am doing something with myself instead of lazing on the couch. 

Throwing Out the Sweets. I refuse to buy cookies, cake mix, gummy bears, cupcakes or any other sugary treat. However, I am human and I do crave. What I do is buy a bag of frozen grapes and pop them in the freezer. They are the best after dinner dessert. Sweet, easy and to me, nature's own little popsicle. For the times that I just have to have something chocolately-I buy Skinny Cow dessert products. They are good and guiltless. The French Vanilla Truffle is my favorite and only has 100 calories. You really can't beat it. 

{via}

I'll keep you updated on how it goes, but also, let me know what you guys do to work out. Do you have a set schedule? Do you run outside and have a great training program you use? If so, share! Or is there a class I should try out? Let me know! I would love to hear!

Also, I was going to update on how my Lent Resolution was going, but I felt like this post was already too long to add another lengthy subject. Update later this week! 

9 comments:

Danielle said...

These are such good ideas! Totally stealing the one about making workout dates. So smart.

Valerie Griffin said...

great job!

Caitlin C. said...

This is a great plan! I know you can do it :) And I LOVE skinny cow bars - they're extremely satiating when you want something sweet, but not bad for you at all. To motivate myself, I put stickers on my calendar after I've completed a workout. It sounds elementary, but it totally works!

Dee Stephens said...

I'm the same with you. I love going to the gym in the morning! It only happens 1 or 2xs a week but that's not bad in my book.
I'm also the same in that I just try and live an active lifestyle. If I'm bored go for a walk with the pooch.
BTW -- love Sausalito!

Natalie said...

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up girl! :)

Amanda said...

Best of luck with your new healthy working out goals :) I'm proud of you!

P.S. M and I were talking about taking a vacay to California as our vacation this year...Where you might ask? San Francisco. :) Just throwing it out there!

Portuguese Prepster said...

Great tips! I know where you are coming from, I don't need to lose weight but I want to be more healthy and fit. It's so hard trying to get into a set schedule, sounds like you are doing great though!

Lauren said...

sounds like a great goal! I'm attempting to watch my calorie intake, and make it just "quality" calories instead of junk!

Good luck girl!

Sundresses and Smiles said...

Good goal--I've made a similar one of working out at least 20 times this March and am keeping a tally in my planner! I've seemed to get the working out under control and am now trying to start and reign in my eating habits!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...