Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thailand.

We are back and lemme tell you, Thailand was fun, romantic, and wonderful but coming home was pretty dang exciting as well. We really packed in a lot of traveling on our trip and after 10 days of catching planes, trains, and tuk tuks (street transportation in Thailand), we were both ready to come home. 


On our trip we ended up going to Bagkok, Phuket, the Island of Phi Phi and the small town of Kanchanburi. I'll go through each place since they were all so different and unique. 


Bangkok is the capital of Thailand and had the perfect mix of old vs. new. There were modern day sky scrappers that sat next to old temples or run down buildings. There was a modern day subway that was used as well as the old fashioned water taxis, which were old crowded boats that ran along river dropping people off at different ports. It was pretty interesting because we caught the boat taxis a few times and it was literally waiting at a port, a old man would jump off when the boat came, give a whistle, and within a minute if you hadn't hopped on then the boat would be on its way to a different port. 


In Bangkok, we went to Wat Phra Kaew-the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, which consists of wonderful bejeweled buildings, glittering mosaics, and the famous Emerald Buddha, which is actually made of green jade instead of emerald. Here are some pictures of the place. We also went to Wat Pho-the temple of the Reclining Buddha and also the home of the Thai massage. Of course, we ended up getting massages that cost us $6 US dollars. (Thank you Thailand for offering hr long massages for only 6-10 dollars!).


One of my favorite things was the market in Bangkok that was 100 acres and full of any gift, home good, tinket that you could think of for half the price of what it is in the US. That is were I got a lot of my goodies for my friends and family. It was literally every girls dream come true. Think Black Friday only better. 





In Phuket, we stayed for 3 days and wished we could have stayed longer. The beaches were beautiful, the shopping was great, and the pools were relaxing. There were also some really great restaurants. Another awesome thing about Thailand is that you can get a wonderfully prepared meal for about $8 dollars or less. 


We also went on a safari where I rode an elephant and held hands with some monkeys. 


The sign says, "Miss World 2011"

Island of Phi Phi, was the equivalent to America's hottest college spring break spot-think Myrtle Beach. It was great, but not awesome. There were clubs and bars at every corner, American restaurants wherever you looked and stores that sold US goods. We ended up only staying for one day because we weren't there to party and we weren't there to feel like we were back in the states. 



Finally, we caught a train to Kanchanaburi to see the World War II bridge, which was dedicated to the lives lost during the Japanese occupation. They also had a huge market dedicated to blue sapphire jewelry. I ended up getting sick from eating too much, so we didn't have time to really spend a lot of time there. 







18 comments:

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy said...

Jess these are beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had an amazing time!

Dee Stephens said...

WOW! Sounds fabulous! We would have been like you in Phi Phi. CYA later!!
Hee Hee!
Love that monkey picture!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous photos!! What a great trip!

Shelby said...

Wow. That looks absolutely beautiful there! Looks like you had an amazing experience:)

Ashley @ Places To Go, Things To Buy said...

Beautiful pictures!!

Lauren said...

The pictures are beautiful! I can't wait to see more! I love the picture of the beach! So glad you had a great time (it was your honeymoon, of course you did!). I can't wait to get back to reading your regular blog posts though!

Lauren
http://www.laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

Jessie Szmanda said...

Wowwww how incredible. That is so wonderful you were able to go on a trip like that. You will be able to treasure that forever.

Elizabeth said...

What an exciting honeymoon! Love all your photos and it sounds like you had a fantastic time! My future sister in law is living in Thailand teaching English and she loves it!

Claire said...

I WANT TO RIDE AN ELEPHANT! I'm going to be honest- I have no desire to go to Thailand but y'all really do make it look exciting! If anything, I could ride an elephant right? ;) Glad y'all had such a fun, romantic, and safe trip, and again it was an honor guest posting :) xoox

el.vi. said...

Wow looks like an amaziing trip...I cannot wait to start traveling more. I never really though about thailand though...you sure made it seem worthwhile!

Portuguese Prepster said...

wow looks like the trip of a lifetime!

Sundresses and Smiles said...

Love the picture of you in your shades! Looks like a fabulous honeymoon! That is so cool about the boat taxis!

Anna H said...

These pictures are amazing! So happy to see you enjoyed your honeymoon!!

Bailey@Lost&Found said...

My fiance and I spent a month and a half in Thailand this past summer! We loved it! Most of our time we were on the island of Koh Tao! We fell in love with this little island. We also spent about 10 days on the western side of Thailand, and visited Koh Phi Phi. Like you, we were a little let down- too much partying. The best part of Thailand was definitely the food and the $5 massages. Oh, how I miss those massages :)

Bailey
http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com/

Bailey@Lost&Found said...

PS- I live in Sacramento, CA and went to boarding school in VA! I miss VA every day! Oh, and my first name is Jessica (but, I go by Bailey). You must be my twin :)

Sara said...

These pictures are lovely, everything looks amazing; I so want to go on a vacation after seeing these pictures, I bet you had a great time and you look so beautiful! You have a lovely blog and I'm a new follower! Hope you'll like my blog and follow back!
Also make sure to enter my 100$ giftcard giveaway to spend at Shopbop.

Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

birdie to be said...

I just found this on your about/wedding section. I live in Ca too, Sonoma area. We just got married in September and in October went to Thailand for our honeymoon. Wasn't Thailand fantastic?!

Eesh said...

A year and some too late, but these are beautiful photos.

I'm a sucker for new culture and one day hope to travel to Thailand but I've got Bali in my sight right now. I've been dreaming of it for months :)

xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...