Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Napa Valley-Cakebread

Happy Hump Day! 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! I don't know about you guys, but I feel like mine has just flown by!

Last weekend Z and I went on our mini-moon. I define a mini-moon as something you do when you can't go on a real honeymoon, but you want to celebrate the start of your marriage, So for us that meant driving an hour north to Napa Valley for a two days.

While we were there we checked out two wineries: Cakebread and Gabrielle Collections (my favorite, but I'll save that post for tomorrow).  So first, let's discuss Cakebread. Cakebread Winery was started in 1973 by Mr. Jack Cakebread himself and 30 years later, it is still a family owned and operated business that has now grown into a internationally known winery. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

After reading up on the family, Z and I went on their wine tasting tour. This 45 minute tour took us through the facility, let us taste about five different types of their wines, and our tour guide even handed us recipes that would compliment each of their wines. Yum!

 Going through the tasting tour, Z and I were really impressed with what this man and his family has accomplished in just a short 30 years.  I mean they have a state-of-the-art facility, fantastic wines, a culinary program that grows all their vegetables on site, and a staff of over 70. It's pretty incredible to think where hard work will get you and legacy you are leaving behind you.

Now without further adieu, here are some pictures of the winery and our tasting tour. 

The ceiling was made of corks! I couldn't imagine doing this project. 

The gardens where the culinary program picks their food. One day I'll be cool enough to grow a garden like this..one day. :) 





Have you guys ever been to Napa or done a wine tasting?! Where have you gone?



11 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

Like I've mentioned before -- I've been to Napa NUMEROUS times and Sonoma once.
I really like Franciscan, Pride Mountain, and Sterling.
Oh.. Silver Oak rocks the casbah too!
I was excited when I saw the title of your post!

Emily said...

I LOVED my cakebread tour. I thought it was fabulous that Jack's wife still teaches some of the culinary classes which are open to the public. :) I was also obsessed with the ceiling!!! I have (after my most recent trip) a laundry list of favorites in Napa and Sonoma :) Glad your mini-moon was fab. oxo

Evolving Prep said...

Y'all look like you had a great time! What a great way to begin your marriage!

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy said...

Looks like you guys had such a great time! I love the pictures! I have never been to Napa but am dying to go!

Jessica said...

I would love to go to Napa Valley! I hear it's beautiful and serene!! :)

Meg {henninglove} said...

i love that cork ceiling, very creative. my husband and i love wine tasting before, down to the temecula area and his husband live in the central coast of CA so lots of wineries around there like Cambria is a big one always have a great time

Amanda said...

I would love to go to Napa and do a tasting tour! I'm very jealous of this! I'm in the mood for some good wine...so this is very appealing!

el.vi. said...

ahhhhh nappaa valley <3...a wine lovers love...haha

I got engaged at the Franciscan...I think? hahah I am not sure it was the last vineyard of the tour...too many wine tastings by then. I LLLOOOVE v. sattui wine...I actually still have two bottles in my fridge

Annie said...

We have been to Chateau Morrisette in southwest Virginia and some north of Atlanta. Glad you guys had a good time!

little miss southern love. said...

My parents are huge Wine-O's and they love cakebread! Looks like you guys had a great time.

xoxo.

Peyton Hutchins said...

Ok so I'm a little behind, but I love love Cakebread! I've been wine tasting in Napa a few times as my sister went to Berkeley - Cakebread is definitely up there along with Frogs Leap (love their tour), Schramsberg, and Alpha Omega! Hope you enjoyed your mini moon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...